SJMADE at Viva Calle SJ 2017
Find our makers in Japantown & Lake Cunningham Park
Sunday, Sept. 17
10 AM to 3 PM
About Viva Calle SJ
Viva CalleSJ is a free program that temporarily closes miles of San Jose streets to bring communities together to walk, bike, skate, play, and explore the city like never before. Each year's event opens upwards of six miles of streets, through some of San Jose's most iconic neighborhoods for people to come out and play for the day! This allows bicyclists, walkers, skateboarders and general city explorers to traverse these streets safely, collectively and enjoyably. Between 2015 and 2016, attendance grew from 35,000 to over 100,000 people. Not a typo. 100,000.
Check out the recap from last year's event here: http://www.vivacallesj.org/blog/2016-recap.
Learn more about Viva Calle SJ on their official website: http://www.vivacallesj.org/the-event/featured-event.
What is SJMADE doing at Viva Calle SJ this year?
Last year, SJMADE brought some of its favorite local makers of handcrafted goods and some of its favorite local makers of small batch food to create its Picnic in the Park event for one of Viva Calle SJ's route hubs. With such an ubiquitous sense of local pride in the air, the event proved to be a great moment for people proud of their city to come meet and shop their local maker businesses.
This year, SJMADE will be creating great local maker programming at not one but two hubs on the Viva Calle SJ route: the Japantown Hub and the Lake Cunningham Park Hub. Once again, we plan to bring some of our favorite local makers to this event that, we'll say it again, just teems and overflows with amazing local pride.
What will SJMADE bring to the Japantown Hub?
On Fifth Street around Jackson Street in Japantown, SJMADE will create a rich and bustling local maker market featuring over 30 great local makers.
- First and foremost, we'll be curating our maker market for makers whose presence, aesthetic and work will instill in the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Viva Calle SJ participants a swelling and soaring sense of local pride.
- While we are open to accepting makers [from or based] outside of San Jose and the South Bay, we'll definitely be factoring in one's locality while jurying applications.
- Because this hub is located in Japantown, we'll give strong consideration to makers whose presence, aesthetic and work celebrate or connect with the Japantown experience.
- Additionally, we'll be giving strong consideration to makers whose work celebrates bike culture or who locally makes bike gear or bike accessories.
- Finally, we'll be giving strong consideration to makers whose work can be conveniently transported via tote bag or backpack or pannier by a bicyclist. This probably includes most makers but if a maker's work is very large or extremely fragile, this may not be the best event for them.
What will SJMADE bring to the Lake Cunningham Park Hub?
At Lake Cunningham Park, SJMADE will create a great mini market of the area's great local food & drink makers to complement Moveable Feast's always awesome food truck programming.
Will there be a giveaway at the SJMADE areas at this year's Viva Calle SJ?
SJMADE is currently working with Viva Calle SJ on another super great giveaway. Stay tuned here and via our social media for more details.
Maker Lineup for the Japantown Hub
le animalé (website)
Elissa Sue Watercolors (website)
Wow Wow Lemonade (website)
Harumo Sato (website)
Le Petit Elefant (website)
Ursa Major (website)
Agridulce | Illustration & Handmade (website)
Elite Gloves (website)
Denise Soden Art (website)
Fairytale Fox Designs (website)
Forgeron Studios (website)
Band of Bandits (website)
The Styles Project Jewelry (website)
Sheila Miller Pottery (website)
Jay's SquishEmart (website)
Éclosion Tardive (website)
The DH Co. (website)
Krupa Paranjape (website)
Starmek Creations (website)
Steamy Tech (website)
Eiar Candle (website)
Content Magazine (website)
Apply to Vend
To vend at a SJMADE Maker Booth at the Japantown Hub, it'll cost:
- $99 for a full 10'x10' booth space
- $55 for a half 5'x10' booth space. If you apply for a half booth, you'll be paired with another maker who has applied for a half booth. You may also specify a preference of whom you'd like to be paired with.
To vend at a SJMADE Food & Drink Maker Booth at the Lake Cunningham Hub, it'll cost:
- $125 for a full 10'x10' booth space. Your booth fee INCLUDES the cost of a Risk Category 1 - Low Risk TFF permit (priced at $99). For more information about TFFs, click here: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/cpd/programs/TE/Pages/home.aspx.
- In order to complete your application, you must fill out, sign and send us your TFF form at least three full weeks prior to the event.
YOUR BOOTH & SETUP
You must bring your own:
- Tent. Using a tent is optional however keep in mind, this is an outdoor event happening during the day when the sun will likely be out and at its strongest.
- Tent weights. If you use a tent, you must bring weights to hold down the tent. If you don't have specific weights to hold down the tent, gallon jugs of water tied to each tent leg works OK.
Load-in will begin at 8 AM. Load-in instructions will be sent 5-6 days prior to the event. There is free street parking available in the area on Sundays. Load-out will begin at 3 PM.
All applications will undergo our normal application jurying process. We jury all applications in order to ensure quality, product diversity and value to our attendees. We'll be sending out our first round of acceptance or non-acceptance emails on Monday, Aug. 28. Any applicants after Aug. 28 will be notified within 2-3 days of their application status.
Final Deadline to apply for food/drink makers: Friday, Sept. 1 at 11 AM PST.
Final Deadline to apply for non-food/drink makers: Friday, Sept. 8 at 11 AM PST.
1. Click on the ADD TO CART button here. The application should appear.
2. Fill out the application. Once you're finished, click the button at the bottom.
3. You'll be taken back to this page.
4. You must pay your booth fee(s) in order to successfully submit your application(s). To pay, find the Shopping Cart icon*.
*If you're applying via desktop or laptop, scroll up and click on the Shopping Cart icon in the top-right corner of the screen. If you're applying via mobile or tablet, a Shopping Cart icon should appear at the bottom of your screen.
5. After clicking the Shopping Cart icon, you'll be taken to a Checkout page. Follow the instructions from there until you have successfully submitted your payment. You'll receive a confirmation in your email if the payment has gone through successfully. If your application is accepted, your booth fee will have already been paid so you'll be all set. If your application is not accepted, your booth fee will be fully refunded.
Make sure to select the correct booth option. At this point in time, we will not be accepting any food/drink makers to the Japantown Hub and we will not be accepting any non-food/drink makers to the Lake Cunningham Park Hub.
If you need to withdraw from the event, your booth fee is fully refundable until 14 full days prior to the event. For all refunds, processing times may apply. No refunds will be issued after that. We completely understand how last-minute occurrences can affect one's ability to participate in an event. However, we are always aiming to have full markets and any vendors dropping out at the last minute negatively affects our ability to find replacement vendors and consequently, negatively affects the quality of the market.